Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Trip to Carson City, Nevada

This weekend I took a road trip-- this time over the mountains into Carson City, Nevada. I met up with a fellow quilter- Helen. Helen hales from Norfolk- which is where I met her. Helen's husband is retired Navy, so Norfolk they left, and Carson City they landed. Along route 88, just east of Stockton, is the fertile grounds for cherry trees. Miles and miles of cherry trees. As luck would have it, I happened at the area at just the right time. Bought some cherries at a road side stand both going and coming back.
Up 88 I watched the temperature guage jump up and down. When I left Los Altos, it was 57, by the time I got up to the top of El Dorado National forest at 8,000 feet it was snowing and 33. Arriving in Carson it was in the low 50's. Same thing happend on the way back only it wasn't so cold at the top-- only 34. But 70 by the time I got back to my apartment.
Yup, see that moutain back there- that's what I came through. Pretty amazing- also a little scary when you see signs that says " No stopping- high avalanche area" or "Pull off to install chains". Good thing it was the end of May and not February!
This is my friend Helen. We hiked behind her home up into the hills. Wow, what views she has. I did not in the least feel guilty about having not worked out for 2 days. I certainly made up for it. Such a joy it was to see all of this.
Well, it is hard to see but there is a "D" on the mountain ahead. It stands for Dayton--no not Ohio, but Nevada. There is also a C for Carson City and a V for Virginia City on the mountains in those areas. This picture was taken from the top of a hill behind Helen's home.